I love the moment when Boromir dies. All he ever did was whine. On to the Two Towers!
Back the fuck up.
Boromir is one of the greatest characters in the entire trilogy. His mother died when he was 10 years old, leaving him to be shit on by his batshit crazy father, who had severe delusions of grandeur. His younger brother, whom he loves more than anyone else in Middle Earth, is constantly ridiculed and belittled by his father, while Boromir is put up on a pedestal. He’s had to watch countless numbers of his friends die defending a kingless nation that has been slowly declining for the past 3,000 years. Sauron’s forces keep getting stronger, while Gondor’s forces keep getting weaker. Boromir knows that his people cannot endure much longer, yet he continues to fight for them. Imagine the guilt and regret that he had to deal with on a daily basis. Imagine the hopelessness that he had to ignore in order to serve a deranged old man and a ruined country. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.
And then, Boromir comes into the presence of The Ring. In his eyes, he finally has an opportunity to fulfill his father’s expectations. He’s been fighting a losing battle against Mordor for so many years that he can’t see any other goal besides the defense of his country. He believes that he has finally found the object that can restore his happiness. Then he is told that The Ring must be destroyed; an errand that Boromir believes in his heart to be hopeless. He knows that there is no way nine people can walk up to Mount Doom and toss The Ring in. He believes that they are all going to their doom.
When Boromir tries to take The Ring, it isn’t because he is greedy/corrupted, it’s because he doesn’t want to leave his people to die. He wants to know that he spent all those years fighting for a reason. And when Frodo refuses him and runs away, that’s when Boromir finally realizes that he has become the man he hates the most: his father.
But the amazing thing is, Boromir doesn’t give up. Even though he believes that he has failed the entire Fellowship, he goes on to defend Merry and Pippin from the Uruk-Hai, sacrificing himself in the process. He admits to Aragorn what he has done and that in trying to save his people, he has brought forth their demise. But Aragorn promises him that he will not let that happen. Finally, for the first time in his life, Boromir has hope. He has hope that his people will survive and his country will return to it’s former glory. And then he dies.
That right there, is one of the saddest moments in the entire trilogy. Fuck you.
THIS IS THE BEST TALKING IN THE WORLD!!! ÒÓ
- wingedmoonchild likes this
- point-nemo reblogged this from dwimmerlaiks
- point-nemo likes this
- multiple-crusheson-fictional-men likes this
- tolkienfeels reblogged this from l--o--t--r
- stuck-up-in-space reblogged this from obsessivewritingdisorder
- letsfcktgethr likes this
- letsfcktgethr reblogged this from iamjacksvegansandwich
- marvel-the-demigod likes this
- iamjacksvegansandwich reblogged this from kasia-goes-vegan
- kasia-goes-vegan reblogged this from sullymun
- loric101 likes this
- tinybluefishy reblogged this from shana-rosee
- shana-rosee reblogged this from cassiemortmain
- shana-rosee likes this
- shakespeareindrag reblogged this from youmisseda13inthatname
- soulfullvampiress likes this
- soulfullvampiress reblogged this from frank-burns-eats-worms
- onegeekyurl reblogged this from sparkstheyesterday
- youmisseda13inthatname reblogged this from sparkstheyesterday
- sparkstheyesterday reblogged this from hogwartsabbey
- apinklullaby likes this
- gyllybug reblogged this from dwarvenqueen
- y0urheartsthemoon reblogged this from postponing-the-apocalypse
- y0urheartsthemoon likes this
- frank-burns-eats-worms reblogged this from shelaghbonhamcarter
- obsessivewritingdisorder reblogged this from cassiemortmain
- obsessivewritingdisorder likes this
- what-a-glorious-feeling likes this
- annieod likes this
- always-the-tone-of-suprise likes this
- daceymormont likes this
- multifandom-housekeeper reblogged this from shelaghbonhamcarter
- shelaghbonhamcarter reblogged this from hogwartsabbey
- el-tango-de-roxanna likes this
- hogwartsabbey reblogged this from cassiemortmain
- cassiemortmain reblogged this from asdeadasoren
- middle-earth-and-stuff reblogged this from superwholock-initiative
- teapotswithtophats reblogged this from tentakrule
- bordersyettobe likes this
- annaturaldisaster reblogged this from lightgetsout
- forgetmenotblues reblogged this from madamrochester
- fandomcrashlanding reblogged this from su-pie-natural
- randomfollowings reblogged this from sgt-leppards-tardis
- randomfollowings likes this
- catburd likes this
- blahblahblah1043 reblogged this from make-10000-reasons-to-smile
- make-10000-reasons-to-smile likes this
- make-10000-reasons-to-smile reblogged this from theremainsofmy-wastedyouth