I love the moment when Boromir dies. All he ever did was whine. On to the Two Towers!
Back the fuck up.
Boromir is one of the greatest characters in the entire trilogy. His mother died when he was 10 years old, leaving him to be shit on by his batshit crazy father, who had severe delusions of grandeur. His younger brother, whom he loves more than anyone else in Middle Earth, is constantly ridiculed and belittled by his father, while Boromir is put up on a pedestal. He’s had to watch countless numbers of his friends die defending a kingless nation that has been slowly declining for the past 3,000 years. Sauron’s forces keep getting stronger, while Gondor’s forces keep getting weaker. Boromir knows that his people cannot endure much longer, yet he continues to fight for them. Imagine the guilt and regret that he had to deal with on a daily basis. Imagine the hopelessness that he had to ignore in order to serve a deranged old man and a ruined country. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.
And then, Boromir comes into the presence of The Ring. In his eyes, he finally has an opportunity to fulfill his father’s expectations. He’s been fighting a losing battle against Mordor for so many years that he can’t see any other goal besides the defense of his country. He believes that he has finally found the object that can restore his happiness. Then he is told that The Ring must be destroyed; an errand that Boromir believes in his heart to be hopeless. He knows that there is no way nine people can walk up to Mount Doom and toss The Ring in. He believes that they are all going to their doom.
When Boromir tries to take The Ring, it isn’t because he is greedy/corrupted, it’s because he doesn’t want to leave his people to die. He wants to know that he spent all those years fighting for a reason. And when Frodo refuses him and runs away, that’s when Boromir finally realizes that he has become the man he hates the most: his father.
But the amazing thing is, Boromir doesn’t give up. Even though he believes that he has failed the entire Fellowship, he goes on to defend Merry and Pippin from the Uruk-Hai, sacrificing himself in the process. He admits to Aragorn what he has done and that in trying to save his people, he has brought forth their demise. But Aragorn promises him that he will not let that happen. Finally, for the first time in his life, Boromir has hope. He has hope that his people will survive and his country will return to it’s former glory. And then he dies.
That right there, is one of the saddest moments in the entire trilogy. Fuck you.
THIS IS THE BEST TALKING IN THE WORLD!!! ÒÓ
- superwhofflepuff reblogged this from daceymormonts
- starsofthemoment reblogged this from wonfun
- chasingkite likes this
- darthcosby likes this
- minty-condition likes this
- smile618 reblogged this from seapulchritude
- acciomytardis likes this
- acciotardis24601 reblogged this from the-pi-maker
- parking-lot-pigeon reblogged this from the-pi-maker
- parking-lot-pigeon likes this
- beardsandbones likes this
- kamokaze likes this
- seapulchritude reblogged this from peanutbutterflower
- the-pi-maker reblogged this from rayathezig
- peanutbutterflower reblogged this from kyrahdear
- thisiswhenyoufly likes this
- fluorine-indium-nitrogen reblogged this from moonypond
- not-regina-george reblogged this from realmonstiles
- moonypond reblogged this from chuckismycopilot
- 1057534 likes this
- rakishlad reblogged this from asbestos-kneecaps
- starsinblossom reblogged this from earendils
- starsinblossom likes this
- ade-astra likes this
- earendils reblogged this from myeyestoserve
- lulleveniht reblogged this from nightsideink
- vexedness likes this
- nightsideink reblogged this from nyneria
- yia-frodo reblogged this from mastergamgee and added:
- yia-frodo likes this
- flowercrown-john reblogged this from prussia-and-hungarys-daughter
- lazyflawedandhopeless reblogged this from pareidoliaklaine
- mustepullo reblogged this from hobbitonamission
- shoujo-goddess reblogged this from pibroch
- velatus likes this
- aliwalibongo likes this
- lifelessbookworm reblogged this from linuxthegeek
- eternalhomes reblogged this from christinahendricks
- luckyladybugs reblogged this from thranduilings
- i-swear-when-this-is-over reblogged this from skiesovergideon
- pumpkinkurt reblogged this from lyu-skywalker
- skye1236 reblogged this from feel-yfilifeels
- arcreblogs reblogged this from valyriaansteel
- valyriaansteel reblogged this from stannisbaratheon
- vaderfan1 reblogged this from fknmeow
- iacceptpityfollows likes this
- iacceptpityfollows reblogged this from moriarty-in-the-flying-blue-box