I love the moment when Boromir dies. All he ever did was whine. On to the Two Towers!
Back the fuck up.
Boromir is one of the greatest characters in the entire trilogy. His mother died when he was 10 years old, leaving him to be shit on by his batshit crazy father, who had severe delusions of grandeur. His younger brother, whom he loves more than anyone else in Middle Earth, is constantly ridiculed and belittled by his father, while Boromir is put up on a pedestal. He’s had to watch countless numbers of his friends die defending a kingless nation that has been slowly declining for the past 3,000 years. Sauron’s forces keep getting stronger, while Gondor’s forces keep getting weaker. Boromir knows that his people cannot endure much longer, yet he continues to fight for them. Imagine the guilt and regret that he had to deal with on a daily basis. Imagine the hopelessness that he had to ignore in order to serve a deranged old man and a ruined country. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.
And then, Boromir comes into the presence of The Ring. In his eyes, he finally has an opportunity to fulfill his father’s expectations. He’s been fighting a losing battle against Mordor for so many years that he can’t see any other goal besides the defense of his country. He believes that he has finally found the object that can restore his happiness. Then he is told that The Ring must be destroyed; an errand that Boromir believes in his heart to be hopeless. He knows that there is no way nine people can walk up to Mount Doom and toss The Ring in. He believes that they are all going to their doom.
When Boromir tries to take The Ring, it isn’t because he is greedy/corrupted, it’s because he doesn’t want to leave his people to die. He wants to know that he spent all those years fighting for a reason. And when Frodo refuses him and runs away, that’s when Boromir finally realizes that he has become the man he hates the most: his father.
But the amazing thing is, Boromir doesn’t give up. Even though he believes that he has failed the entire Fellowship, he goes on to defend Merry and Pippin from the Uruk-Hai, sacrificing himself in the process. He admits to Aragorn what he has done and that in trying to save his people, he has brought forth their demise. But Aragorn promises him that he will not let that happen. Finally, for the first time in his life, Boromir has hope. He has hope that his people will survive and his country will return to it’s former glory. And then he dies.
That right there, is one of the saddest moments in the entire trilogy. Fuck you.
THIS IS THE BEST TALKING IN THE WORLD!!! ÒÓ
- justalabmouse reblogged this from tardis-mind-palace
- catthedalek reblogged this from sophiexhowl
- nightarchery reblogged this from batcii
- siriuslymy-life reblogged this from harrypotter-and-lordoftherings
- mylibraryismylife reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- generation-desenchantee likes this
- captainjennhart reblogged this from ohminastirith
- suckmybatman reblogged this from whendragonsfly
- brambleandthicket likes this
- beautyofthenightmares reblogged this from afflictioneclipsedbyglory
- beautyofthenightmares likes this
- bearck reblogged this from stannisbaratheon
- cheekylittleblog reblogged this from celaborn
- high-jinx likes this
- ciris17 reblogged this from brandywine-river
- awkward-satan reblogged this from awkward-satan
- redvelvetcakeandcats likes this
- my-fresh-cup-of-insanity reblogged this from hella-rad-noodle
- isolemnslyswear likes this
- lukeschulz93 reblogged this from brandywine-river and added:
- hella-rad-noodle reblogged this from shirepower2012
- animefreak-bookworm-fangirl reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- animefreak-bookworm-fangirl likes this
- ankhmoshpork reblogged this from brandywine-river
- gimpy314 reblogged this from unusuallyhorrid
- gimpy314 likes this
- unusuallyhorrid reblogged this from brandywine-river
- neo-freudian likes this
- kaibellvert6 reblogged this from ewgandalf
- cry4corn reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- monstersareonlyhuman reblogged this from frodo--baggins and added:
- monstersareonlyhuman likes this
- the-frostiest-of-jacks reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- the-frostiest-of-jacks likes this
- sercullenthelionheart reblogged this from celaborn
- baern-macbiail likes this
- theharmandthehealing reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- cosmic-womb likes this
- tharan-tuil likes this
- nostalgica likes this
- je-suisdesole likes this
- grey-joys reblogged this from brandywine-river
- poo189 reblogged this from shirepower2012
- shirepower2012 reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- brandywine-river reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- brandywine-river likes this
- ev0lutionary likes this
- jayofthefalloutassassins reblogged this from frodo--baggins
- claymoricles likes this
- vrohi likes this