I love the moment when Boromir dies. All he ever did was whine. On to the Two Towers!
Back the fuck up.
Boromir is one of the greatest characters in the entire trilogy. His mother died when he was 10 years old, leaving him to be shit on by his batshit crazy father, who had severe delusions of grandeur. His younger brother, whom he loves more than anyone else in Middle Earth, is constantly ridiculed and belittled by his father, while Boromir is put up on a pedestal. He’s had to watch countless numbers of his friends die defending a kingless nation that has been slowly declining for the past 3,000 years. Sauron’s forces keep getting stronger, while Gondor’s forces keep getting weaker. Boromir knows that his people cannot endure much longer, yet he continues to fight for them. Imagine the guilt and regret that he had to deal with on a daily basis. Imagine the hopelessness that he had to ignore in order to serve a deranged old man and a ruined country. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.
And then, Boromir comes into the presence of The Ring. In his eyes, he finally has an opportunity to fulfill his father’s expectations. He’s been fighting a losing battle against Mordor for so many years that he can’t see any other goal besides the defense of his country. He believes that he has finally found the object that can restore his happiness. Then he is told that The Ring must be destroyed; an errand that Boromir believes in his heart to be hopeless. He knows that there is no way nine people can walk up to Mount Doom and toss The Ring in. He believes that they are all going to their doom.
When Boromir tries to take The Ring, it isn’t because he is greedy/corrupted, it’s because he doesn’t want to leave his people to die. He wants to know that he spent all those years fighting for a reason. And when Frodo refuses him and runs away, that’s when Boromir finally realizes that he has become the man he hates the most: his father.
But the amazing thing is, Boromir doesn’t give up. Even though he believes that he has failed the entire Fellowship, he goes on to defend Merry and Pippin from the Uruk-Hai, sacrificing himself in the process. He admits to Aragorn what he has done and that in trying to save his people, he has brought forth their demise. But Aragorn promises him that he will not let that happen. Finally, for the first time in his life, Boromir has hope. He has hope that his people will survive and his country will return to it’s former glory. And then he dies.
That right there, is one of the saddest moments in the entire trilogy. Fuck you.
THIS IS THE BEST TALKING IN THE WORLD!!! ÒÓ
- rakishlad reblogged this from asbestos-kneecaps
- sharkbait2010 likes this
- little-artsy-things reblogged this from sheriffstilinksi
- lands-of-fantasy reblogged this from faramircaptainofgondor
- kari-dea likes this
- hobbitlordoftherings reblogged this from tossme
- zissystimeturner reblogged this from spocklesmycockles
- gabagaba1 reblogged this from littleblackmariah
- eleeshea reblogged this from majestatic
- thisbrilliantsky likes this
- hummingbirdsaltimolockia reblogged this from madis-hartte
- rage-is-the-fire-within likes this
- kredikshaw likes this
- the-straight-edge likes this
- chasingkite likes this
- muathu reblogged this from reallyally
- themanwhoturnedintohimself reblogged this from merrnaids
- muathu likes this
- winchesters-on-gallifrey reblogged this from inhonoredglory
- akseyd likes this
- onii-chan-you-baka reblogged this from permanently-somnolent
- onii-chan-you-baka likes this
- gladiing likes this
- permanently-somnolent reblogged this from eviekitten
- inukawaiiiii likes this
- constantodds likes this
- seven-princesses reblogged this from my-accidental-mind
- themiddleearthcurse reblogged this from wiintersoldiier
- jadedemilich reblogged this from randomfactory
- chewerofgumballs likes this
- i-will-steal-your-sheep reblogged this from thepottercurse
- fadeno likes this
- electronicmyotis reblogged this from shitnastytrash
- i-max95 likes this
- i-max95 reblogged this from thepottercurse
- thepottercurse reblogged this from wiintersoldiier
- starryeyedbibliophile likes this
- shitnastytrash reblogged this from nachtmerrieschultz
- shitnastytrash likes this
- nachtmerrieschultz reblogged this from lightgetsout
- hannahthe-wholockian reblogged this from lbindon99
- lbindon99 reblogged this from dreamingofelves
- dreamingofelves reblogged this from tolkieen
- abridewithpockets likes this
- homebright likes this
- jd22saloon likes this
- angelofthe-sass reblogged this from ohnolahey
- childofajaeger reblogged this from ohnolahey