I love the moment when Boromir dies. All he ever did was whine. On to the Two Towers!
Back the fuck up.
Boromir is one of the greatest characters in the entire trilogy. His mother died when he was 10 years old, leaving him to be shit on by his batshit crazy father, who had severe delusions of grandeur. His younger brother, whom he loves more than anyone else in Middle Earth, is constantly ridiculed and belittled by his father, while Boromir is put up on a pedestal. He’s had to watch countless numbers of his friends die defending a kingless nation that has been slowly declining for the past 3,000 years. Sauron’s forces keep getting stronger, while Gondor’s forces keep getting weaker. Boromir knows that his people cannot endure much longer, yet he continues to fight for them. Imagine the guilt and regret that he had to deal with on a daily basis. Imagine the hopelessness that he had to ignore in order to serve a deranged old man and a ruined country. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.
And then, Boromir comes into the presence of The Ring. In his eyes, he finally has an opportunity to fulfill his father’s expectations. He’s been fighting a losing battle against Mordor for so many years that he can’t see any other goal besides the defense of his country. He believes that he has finally found the object that can restore his happiness. Then he is told that The Ring must be destroyed; an errand that Boromir believes in his heart to be hopeless. He knows that there is no way nine people can walk up to Mount Doom and toss The Ring in. He believes that they are all going to their doom.
When Boromir tries to take The Ring, it isn’t because he is greedy/corrupted, it’s because he doesn’t want to leave his people to die. He wants to know that he spent all those years fighting for a reason. And when Frodo refuses him and runs away, that’s when Boromir finally realizes that he has become the man he hates the most: his father.
But the amazing thing is, Boromir doesn’t give up. Even though he believes that he has failed the entire Fellowship, he goes on to defend Merry and Pippin from the Uruk-Hai, sacrificing himself in the process. He admits to Aragorn what he has done and that in trying to save his people, he has brought forth their demise. But Aragorn promises him that he will not let that happen. Finally, for the first time in his life, Boromir has hope. He has hope that his people will survive and his country will return to it’s former glory. And then he dies.
That right there, is one of the saddest moments in the entire trilogy. Fuck you.
THIS IS THE BEST TALKING IN THE WORLD!!! ÒÓ
- black-salts-and-forget-me-nots reblogged this from retardedraptor
- msbonnevivante likes this
- travelwithmethen reblogged this from timelordis-sapiens
- ziggystardork reblogged this from thelittlestyena
- armitage1x1 likes this
- cryptozoology-1x1 reblogged this from reedoes1x1
- reedoes1x1 reblogged this from cecaelias
- praisezesus likes this
- jgaskisanerd likes this
- sora-fiamma reblogged this from cookiekween
- narglesinthevortex reblogged this from liapher
- liapher reblogged this from divathranduil
- thebloodyawfulpoet reblogged this from savelisful
- the-great-drifloon reblogged this from prideismyonlysin
- awesomelynerdygirl likes this
- prideismyonlysin reblogged this from land-of-greyjoys-and-cannibals
- headofporridge reblogged this from heterodynegirl
- maelstromatic reblogged this from itsadreamwithinadreamorisit
- jackolini-houdini reblogged this from got-dem-kili-fili-feels
- terminallydepraved reblogged this from presidentbluebrownie
- presidentbluebrownie reblogged this from willkill4pudding
- bballleeson reblogged this from imasecretdirectioner and added:
- tonrawr likes this
- lovehateandother4letterwords likes this
- lovehateandother4letterwords reblogged this from kittiecondoms
- kittiecondoms reblogged this from cateaclysmic
- kittiecondoms likes this
- donnamarie12 likes this
- fashiontipsfromcomicstrips likes this
- squiddleymcinkypants likes this
- cateaclysmic reblogged this from zellain
- dertykerty reblogged this from leggygreenleaf
- more2methanmeetstheeye reblogged this from hurricaine
- razamafoo likes this
- bornwithoutamask reblogged this from sopettyandtiny
- sopettyandtiny reblogged this from starkinglyhandsome
- firewillrise likes this
- fitblrfeeling likes this
- a-history-of-middle-earth reblogged this from thorinthesassmaster
- iwas-born-for-this reblogged this from cecaelias
- hyrulehero likes this
- whale-i-am likes this
- caramelfair reblogged this from cecaelias
- edgardecay likes this
- rubyredgore likes this
- malovanekviti likes this
- almostnowhere reblogged this from smauglings
- thislionheartedhobbit reblogged this from party-elf and added:
- colour-me-endangered reblogged this from anywhore
- xdarkxhorizons reblogged this from hype4life